Preview

image preview

Creation Date

5-26-2014

Description

The marker reads: "LEE COUNTY Lee County was created by Acts of June 9, 1825 and Dec. 11, 1826 from Creek cessions of Jan. 24, 1826 and March 31, 1826. Originally, it contained all land in Randolph, Stewart, Quitman, Sumter, Terrell, Webster and part of Marion and Clay Counties. Lee County was named for Richard Henry Lee (1732-1794), Virginia Congressman, who on June 7, 1776 moved “that the colonies declare themselves free and independent.” First officers, commissioned May 14, 1827, were: Nathan Powell, Sheriff; Joseph White, Clerk of Sup. and Inf. Courts. Commissioned August 26, 1828 were Abner Holliday, Surveyor, and Gabriel Parker, Coroner. 088-4 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956" Top of sign: The Great Seal of Georgia – Georgia 1776 Constitution Justice Wisdom Moderation

Latitude, Longitude

31 deg 43' 57.47", 84 deg 10' 16.70"

Keywords

Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida –Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida – Jacksonville; Leesburg (Ga.); Lee County (Ga.); Historic markers

Share

Image Location

 
COinS