The marker reads: "CLAY COUNTY This County created by Act of the Legislature Feb. 16, 1854, is named for Henry Clay, famous statesman who died in 1852. Near fort Gaines, the County Site, stood the actual Fort built in 1816 for defense in the Creek Indian Wars and named for Gen. Edmond P. Gaines who ordered its construction. Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff George R. Holloway, Clerk of the Superior & Inferior Courts Warren Sutton, Ordinary John H. Jones, Tax Receiver John H. Gilbert, Tax Collector Peter Lee, County Surveyor Bennett H. Thornton and Coroner Churchill Patrick. 030-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954" Top of sign: The Great Seal of Georgia – Georgia 1776 Constitution Justice Wisdom Moderation
31 deg 36' 15.46", 85 deg 2' 55.39"
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida –Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida – Jacksonville; Fort Gaines (Ga.); Clay County (Ga.); Public schools – Georgia