The marker reads: "HILTON SCHOOL Formal education began in 1897 on land from J.C. Hudspeth and Mrs. Elizabeth Freeman. A petition in 1924 halted a new school at Waters Ford. In 1925 a spacious masonary school opened one mile west of this marker for students from Freeman, Hilton, Rock Hill and Sowhatchee. The name was changed to Hilton Consolidated School. In 1932 students came in from Byrons Academy, Centerville and Lucile. Vocational classrooms, canning plant, lunchroom and gymnasium enhanced the complex before the high school closed in 1955. An elementary school continued until 1960. Many lives and destinies were shaped here. ERECTED BY THE HISTORIC CHATTAHOOCHEE COMMISSION AND FRIENDS OF HILTON SCHOOL 1994"
31 deg 17' 44.53", 85 deg 3' 31.24"
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida –Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida – Jacksonville; Hilton (Ga.); Early County (Ga.); Historic markers; Rural schools – Georgia; Consolidated schools