The marker reads: "Barney Colored Elementary School Barney Colored Elementary School was part of the Rosenwald school building program that matched funds from philanthropist Julius Rosenwald with community donations to build rural Southern schools during the era of segregation. An example of a “community school plan,” it included large banks of windows, an industrial room, and sliding partition doors to accommodate larger school and community gatherings. This combined a Progressive-era design emphasis on lighting and ventilation with educator Booker T. Washington’s focus on community development and industrial training for rural African Americans. The school operated from 1933 to 1959, serving first through sixth grade students. One of six Rosenwald projects in Brooks County, Barney served as a feeder school to the Morven Rosenwald School. In 2006, the Morven Rosenwald Alumni Association, Inc. acquired the building and preserved it for community use. 2013.4 Erected by the Georgia Historical Society, Brooks County Board of Commissioners, and the Morven Rosenwald Alumni Association, Inc. 14-2" Top of sign: Georgia Historical Society emblem
31 deg 0' 15.19", 83 deg 30' 53.59"
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida –Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida – Jacksonville; Barney (Ga.); Brooks County (Ga.); Rosenwald, Julius; Rural schools – Georgia; Elementary schools; Community school plan