Preview

image preview

Creation Date

10-30-2010

Description

The St. Simons Lighthouse oil house is located on Saint Simons Island, GA. This brick building was built in 1890 to house the kerosene oil for the lighthouse lamp fuel. By 1934, electricity was used to power the lamps. The St. Simons Lighthouse is located on the southern tip of Saint Simons Island, Georgia. The current brick and iron tower was built in 1872. The light was automated in 1950. The tower was opened to the public in 1984 and transferred to the Coastal Georgia Historical Society in 2004. It is on the National Register of Historical Places (NRIS #72000386).

Latitude, Longitude

31.13409, -81.3936

Keywords

Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Kerosene--Storage; Lighthouses--Georgia--Saint Simons Island; Saint Simons Island (Ga.); Lighthouses

Share

Image Location

 
COinS