Preview

image preview

Creation Date

11-8-2009

Building Name

Hotel De La Havana

Description

Havana Hotel Marker, Tampa, Fl.

This marker is located where Havana Hotel once stood. it was the first hotel to be constructed in the Latin Quarter. Later it was destroyed by the great fire.

The marker reads as :

HOTEL DE LA HAVANA 1887 1891. .

During the fabulous pioneer days of Ybor City the famed Hotel De La Havana was located on this corner. The three story frame structure was the first hotel erected in the Latin Quarter. Its proprietors were Jose Rubin and Jacinto Olavarria...The hotel was headquarters for newly arrived tobacco workers and Cuban political exiles. The building was destroyed during Ybor City's first great fire in November 1891.

Erected by Las Novedades Restaurant, 1961

Latitude, Longitude

27.96028889, -82.44296944

Keywords

Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Havana Hotel Marker; Hotel De La Havana; Jose Rubin; Jacmto Olavarria; Ybor City, Tampa; Hillsborough County (Fl.); Historical marker --- Florida --- Ybor City.

Share

Image Location

 
COinS