Preview

image preview

Creation Date

10-17-2010

Building Name

Old Eagle Tavern, Edwards' House, Drummer's House

Description

Old Eagle Tavern Marker, Sparta, GA.

This marker is located where the LaFayette Hotel now stands on Main Street, Sparta Near the Courthouse.

The marker reads as :

" The Eagle Tavern, built in the late 18th century, once stood on the site of the present Lafayette Hotel. A state coach stop on the Augusta to Macon line, the tavern owned by a Mr. A. Abercrombie was the scene of a great ball held for the Marquis de LaFayette in 1825. Burned in the late 1830´s, the Tavern was replaced by the present structure in 1840 when it was known as the Edwards´ House. Renamed the Drummer´s Home in 1897 it was, in 1900, voted by traveling men the most popular hotel in Georgia and received a silver wine dispenser from the Georgia Hotel ."

It was sponsored by the GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION.

Latitude, Longitude

33.27553333, -82.97580278

Keywords

Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Old Eagle Tavern Marker; Old Eagle Tavern; Lafayette Hotel; Mr. A. Abercrombie; Edwards' House; Drummer's House; Hancock County (Fl); Hancock County (Ga.); Sparta (Ga.); Historical marker --- Georgia --- Sparta.

Share

Image Location

 
COinS