Campus Historic District.
Library East UF 1. Library East (now known as Smathers Library) is a historic library in Gainesville, Florida, United States. It is located in the northeastern section of the University of Florida in the middle of the Campus Historic District. When it was first created it was the largest building on campus at that time.
This facility was designed by the architect William A. Edwards and was first opened in October 1926. On June 27, 1979, it was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places # 79000656. In 1991 after a generous donation by the former United States Senator George Smathers the facility was officially renamed the Smathers Library.
The University of Florida's George A. Smathers Libraries is one of the largest university library systems in the United States. The system includes eight of the nine libraries of the University of Florida and provides primary support to all academic programs.
Taylor George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; College campuses; College buildings; College library; Library East; University of Florida; Smathers Library; George Smathers; Gainesville, Fl.; Alachua County