Stetson University Campus Historic District
Stetson Cummings Gymnasium. A two-story masonry vernacular building built in 1911, designed by Architect: Litchfield Colton. Cummings Gymnasium's architectural features include a flat roof, decorative carved rafter ends, buff sandstone brick construction, and artificial stone string coursing defining the foundation, interior level of the gym floor, and roof line. It was named for J. Howell Cummings, then president of the John B. Stetson Hat Company in Philadelphia, founded by Stetson University's major benefactor. Cummings donated $6,000 toward the $12,000 cost.
It was the second gymnasium built by Stetson. It is in good condition. Contributing Building - Stetson University Campus Historic District - National Register of Historic Places
Taylor; George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville,Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville,College campuses,College buildings,Historic buildings; Stetson University; Gymnasium; J. Howell Cummings; Deland, Fl.