Stetson University Campus Historic District
Stetson Elizabeth Hall, Deland, FL. Elizabeth Hall is Stetson University's signature building, a stately building of patterned brick rising three stories, with a four-story central brick pavilion topped by a snowy white cupola. In the early days the tower contained a water tank, which supplied the campus with water until city water became available. In 1915 the Eloise bell chimes replaced the water tank, but they were moved in 1934.
The first major building on campus built by Stetson's early benefactor, Philadelphia hat manufacturer John B. Stetson, it is named for his wife, Elizabeth. The south wing contains a 786-seat chapel, with a magnificent German-made Beckerath 2,700-pipe manual organ surrounded by stained glass windows. The chapel is dedicated to Stetson's son Ben, who died at the age of 6.
Contributing Building - Stetson University Campus Historic District - National Register of Historic Places
NRIS #91000244. It was built ca 1892 and designed by architect: George T Pearson
Taylor George Lansing; Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; College campuses; College buildings; Historic buildings; Stetson University; Elizabeth hall; Chapel; John B. Stetson--wife--Elizabeth