Stetson University Campus Historic District
Stetson Stover Theater, Deland, FL. Built in 1930 a one-and-a-half-story building, Stover Theatre is home to the oldest collegiate theatrical company in the south. Originally called Assembly Hall, because Florida churchmen complained about Stetson's building of a "theatre," it was renamed Stover Theatre in 1938 to honor Irving Stover, Stetson professor of speech since 1908.
Seating about 350, it was the first theatre built just for dramatics at a Florida university. In 1991, it failed a fire inspection and Stetson completely renovated it in 1992, including the wiring, and reduced its seats to about 300. The interior has a Mediterranean influence in the lobby, seating area, gallery and small balcony. The exterior features a gable roof, marquee, diamond pane double-hung sash windows and French entry doors. It is in good condition.
Contributing Building - Stetson University Campus Historic District - National Register of Historic Places
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; College campuses; College buildings; Theaters; Stetson Stover Theater; Irving Stover--professor; Assembly Hall; Stetson University; Volusia County; Deland, Fl.