St Rita's Colored Catholic Mission;Sacred Heart Catholic Church of New Smyrna Beach;Black Heritage Museum
Historical marker for the former St Rita's Colored Catholic Mission. It is located in New Smyrna Beach, Florida. When built in 1899 it was known as Sacred Heart Catholic Church of New Smyrna Beach. In 1956, the building was moved to its present location and became St. Rita's Colored Mission Church. After integration in 1969, it was no longer in use as a church. The building was restored in 1999 and is now known as the Black Heritage Museum. This is on the National Register of Historic Places (NRIS #07000280).
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Historical markers; Catholic church buildings; New Smyrna Beach (Fla.); Churches and synagogues