Pelham Commercial Historic District
Hand Trading Company Mosaic Logo, Pelham, GA.
Hand Trading Company Building is a historic 4-story building with a rotunda open to the dome. The building’s exterior is decorative pressed brick; the interior is ornamental plaster, making it virtually fireproof. The building is being restored keeping its historical integrity. It is located in downtown Pelham. It was modeled after Marshall Field's Department Store in Chicago, IL.
Erected by the company founder Mr. J.L. Hand, construction began in 1914 and was completed in 1916. At that time the nearly 100,000 square foot, four story building was South Georgia's largest department store. Notions, clothing, groceries, buggies and even coffins could be purchased from the trading company. Contributing Building - Pelham Commercial Historic District - National Register of Historic Places NRIS #83000238
This is the logo of the Hand Trading Company, HTC made in mosaic, of different colors.
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Commercial buildings-Georgia-Pelham; Building details; Hand Trading Company; Company logo; Mosaic; Mitchell County (Ga.)