Mast General Store
Mast Store, Valle Crucis, NC.
The Mast General Store was built, at least the first of its many rooms, in 1882 by Henry Taylor and opened in 1883. In 1897 half interest in the store was sold to W. W. Mast, a member of a pioneer family that settled in the valley. Later the remaining half was also purchased by him, and was now known as the Mast Store. For the next 60 years, the store was owned and managed by the Mast Family, till it closed in 1977.
The Mast General Store is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the High Country. Since John and Faye Cooper re-opened the closed Mast Store in 1980, the business has become a "destination". Mast stores carry many souvenir or memorabilia items, they also carry many practical goods like hiking boots, t-shirts, hats, and food and accessories for hikers and campers. National Register of Historic Places NRIS #73001383
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Commercial buildings-North Carolina-Valle Crucis; Historic buildings; Mast General Store; W. W. Mast; General store; Watauga County (NC); Valle Crucis (NC)