The Palace Saloon (Prescott Building), Fernandina Beach, Fl.
The Beaux Arts style building was constructed by Josiah H. Prescott, in 1878 as a dry-goods store and haberdashery and was known as the Prescott Building. In 1901, Louis G. Hirth bought the building and replaced shoes with booze and opened the Palace Saloon in 1903.
In the early days it was known as the "Ship Captains Bar" and served only the elite. The saloon’s 40-foot bar is a wonderful relic from the turn of the century, surrounded by mosaic tile floors, embossed tin ceilings and murals painted on the walls. Contributing Building - Fernandina Beach Historic District - National Register of Historic Places NRIS #73000593
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Commercial buildings-Florida-Fernandina Beach; Palace Saloon; Prescott Building; Louis G hirth; Ship Captains Bar; Historic district; Nassau County (Fl); Fernandina Beach (Fl); Images