St James Building
St James Building, Jacksonville, Fl.
The St. James Building is a historic building in Downtown Jacksonville, Florida, It was designed by architect Henry John Klutho and opened in 1912. One of many structures in downtown Jacksonville designed by Klutho after the Great Fire of 1901, it is considered his masterpiece.
This building is located on the former site of St James Hotel. It was designed as a mixed-use building containing the Cohen Bros. Department Store (later May Cohens). In 1993 it was purchased by the City of Jacksonville under the River City Renaissance plan, with the intention of remodeling it as the new City Hall. The new City hall in the St James Building opened in Dec. 12, 1997.
It is registered in the National Register of Historic Places NRIS #76000594
Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Commercial buildings -- Florida -- Jacksonville; St James Building; Cohen Brothers Department Store; Klutho, Henry John, 1873-1964; Jacksonville City Hall; Duval County (Fl.)