Old Jacksonville Free Public Library
Old Jacksonville Free Public Library Sign, Jacksonville, Fl.
On October 3, 1903, ground was broken for the Carnegie library on the northeast corner of Adams and Ocean. Known officially as the Jacksonville Free Public Library, it was the beginning of the Jacksonville Public Libraries.
It was designed by architect Henry John Klutho in the Neo-Classic Revival style, the library was two stories tall, made of limestone and copper. Its design was Greek Ionic, typical of Carnegie libraries, and featured four columns on the facade. It has been described as nearly fireproof, with wood only in the floors, doors and sash. Today it houses a law firm and is on the National Register of Historic Places NRIS #86003679.
This is the plaque on the building wall which reads as -- " Old Jacksonville Free Public Library, built 1904, has been placed on the National Register of Historic places by the United States Department of the Interior."
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Old Jacksonville Free Public Library; Carnegie Library; Plaques; Duval County (Fl.); Jacksonville (Fl.); Plaques -- Libraries -- Florida -- Jacksonville.; Images