Fort King George Blockhouse
Fort King George Blockhouse, Georgia.
Fort King George (1721-1734) - A British colonial fort established in 1721 by British troops commanded by Colonel John Barnwell. It was named after British King George & abandoned in 1734.
Originally built as a small triangular fort on a bluff above the north branch of the Altamaha River. The main structure was a three story 26' square blockhouse that provided protection for the residents. There were other buildings like barracks, officers quarters, latrine and the whole complex was surrounded by a moat. The blockhouse also mounted cannons on the second floor for firing at any enemy. This is a duplicate of the original structure.
National Register of Historic Places NRIS #71001101
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Ft King George Blockhouse; Blockhouse; King George; Forts; McIntosh County (Ga.); Fort King George (Ga.); Forts -- Georgia -- Fort King George.