Fort King George Sawmills Ruins, Ft King George, GA.
Fort King George, Georgia's first colonial British garrison, is located at the mouth of the Altamaha river and contains the brick ruins of its early sawmill operation and a small graveyard. It was established in 1721, but was destroyed by the fire in 1726, and rebuilt the following year. The surviving portions of the first sawmill are significant and rare examples of early colonial industry in Georgia.
National Register of Historic Places NRIS #71001101
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Fort King George Sawmill Ruins; Sawmills; Ruins; McIntosh County (Ga.); Ft King George (Ga.); Sawmills -- Georgia -- Ft King George.