St Francis Barracks
St Augustine Town Plan Historic District
St Francis Barracks, St Augustine, Fl.
St. Francis Barracks is a historic structure constructed of coquina stone located on Marine Street in St. Augustine, Florida named in honor of St. Francis of Assisi. The barracks were constructed between 1724 and 1755 by monks of the Order of St. Francis to replace a series of previous wooden buildings which were destroyed in 1702.
Today the St. Francis Barracks serves as the Florida State Arsenal, headquarters for the Florida National Guard as well as the two additional headquarters its subordinate organizations, the Florida Army National Guard and the Florida Air National Guard. A portion of the area is also the site of the St. Augustine National Cemetery.
Contributing Building - St Augustine Town Plan Historic District - National Register of Historic Places NRIS #70000847
Taylor George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; St Francis Barracks; St. Francis of Assisi; Florida State Arsenal; Historic district; St Johns County (Fl.); St Augustine (Fl.); Barracks -- Florida -- St Augustine.