Atkinson Court House
Atkinson Court House Marker, Pearson, GA.
This marker is located on the Courthouse lawn Atkinson County , Pearson Georgia. It was sponsored by the Georgia Historical Commission and erected in 1954.
It reads as follows :
" Atkinson County was created by an act of the Georgia legislature in 1917, out of lands previously in Clinch and Coffee Counties.
The county was organized Jan. 1, 1918. The first officers were J.W. Roberts, Ordinary; Wiley M. Sumner, Clerk Superior Court; E.D. Leggett, Sheriff and Charles E. Stewart, Representative in legislature.
Members of the first Board of Commissioners, created in 1919, were Jeff Kirkland, David Weathers and J.M. Roberts Sr. The first Clerk to the Commissioners and County Attorney was L.A. Hargreaves. "
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Atkinson Court House Marker; Historical marker; Atkinson County (Ga.); Pearson (Ga.); Historical markers --- Georgia --- Pearson.