Burnt Church Monument, Lakeland, GA.
One of the first churches constituted in the area was Union Baptist Church. It was formed on October 21, 1825 on the banks of the Alapaha River near the present town of Lakeland, Georgia. In 1836 as a band of Creek Indians passed on their way to join the Seminoles at Noochee, near present day Fargo, they set fire to the Union Church. It was slater called the Burnt Church.
This monument reads as :
" First known as Carter's Meeting House, land donated by Jesse Carter. Union Primitive Baptist Church constituted October 1, 1825, burned and rebuilt 1854, known as Burnt Church. restored April 1998. project manager , M. A. Studstill Jr."
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Burnt Church Monument; Burnt Church; Union Primitive Baptist Church; Jesse Carter; Lanier County (Ga.); Lakeland (Ga.); Monuments --- Georgia --- Lakeland.