Calhoun County Marker, Morgan, GA.
This marker is located outside the Calhoun County Courthouse in Morgan, Georgia. It was placed by the Georgia Historical Commission in 1954.
It reads as follows :
" This county, created by Act of the Legislature Feb. 20, 1854, is named for John C. Calhoun, famed South Carolina Statesman, who resigned as Vice President of the United States in 1832 to return to the U.S. Senate and defend States Rights in debates with Daniel Webster. He served as Secretary of War (1817-25) and Secretary of State (1844-45) First Calhoun County Officers were: Sheriff Wm. H. Pierce, Clerk Joseph W. Roberts, Ordinary Wm. S. Harris, Tax Receiver H.W. Wilkins, Tax Collector Kinion Strickland, Surveyor Charles Stewart and Coroner Amos Forehand. "
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Calhoun County Marker; John C. Calhoun; Historical marker; Calhoun County (Ga.); Morgan (Ga.); Historical markers --- Georgia --- Morgan.