North Historic District Savannah
Christ Church Marker, Savannah, GA.
The Christ Church Historical Marker is located in the Johnson Square Park across the street from the church. It was erected by the Georgia Historical Society and Christ Church. This was the first church established in Georgia, called the Mother Church of Georgia.
The marker reads as : Christ Church, The Mother Church of Georgia,
" This Episcopal church was the first house of worship established with the founding of Georgia in 1733. Early rectors included the Rev. John Wesley (1736-37), who began the earliest form of Sunday school and published the first English hymnal in the colonies, and the Rev. George Whitefield (1738-40), founder of Bethesda Orphanage. The cornerstone for the first building on this site was laid in 1744. James Hamilton Couper designed the current and third structure in 1838. The 1819 Revere & Son bell continues in use today. One of many prominent members was Juliette Gordon Low, founder of the Girl Scouts of America."
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Christ Church Marker; Christ Church; Episcopal church; Rev. John Wesley; Mother Church; Chatham County (Ga.); Savannah (Ga.); Historical markers --- Georgia --- Savannah.