Gainesville City Hall
City of Gainesville FL, Marker, Gainesville, Fl.
This historical marker is located outside the Gainesville City Hall, on 200 East University Avenue, in Gainesville, Florida. It is the county seat and the UF University of Florida is located here. This marker was sponsored by the Florida Board of Parks and Historic Memorials.
The marker reads as :
" Designated the County Seat in 1854, and incorporated as a City in 1869, Gainesville takes its name from General Edmund Gaines, captor of Aaron Burr and commander of U.S. Army troops in Florida during the Second Seminole War. The town was the fourth Alachua County Seat of government. The University of Florida and its educational predecessors have been located in Gainesville since the 1850's."
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; City of Gainesville marker; City of Gainesville; County Seat; General Edmund Gaines -- US army commander; University of Florida; Alachua County (Fl.); Gainesville (Fl.); Historical markers --- Florida --- Gainesville.