Coffee County Courthouse
Coffee County Marker 1, Douglas, GA.
This marker was erected in 1954, by the Georgia Historical Commission, at the Coffee County Courthouse in Douglas, Georgia , noting the creation of Coffee County.
The marker reads as follows :
" Coffee county was created by an act of the Georgia legislature Feb. 9, 1854, and made up of portions of Clinch, Ware, Irwin and Telfair counties. Named for Gen. John Coffee, of Telfair county, noted as an Indian fighter, planter and Congressman. First county officers were B.H. Tanner, Sheriff; Whittington S. Moore, Clerk of Superior and Inferior Courts; Thomas Mobley, Ordinary; John W. Matchet, Tax Receiver; James R. Smith, Tax Collector; Sim Parker, Coroner, and Mr. Carver, Surveyor. First Inferior Court Justices were mark Lott Jr., Joel Lott, Alexander Mobley, Hardy Hall and Elijah Pickren."
Georgia Historical Commission 1954.
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Coffee County Marker; Coffee County Courthouse; Gen. John Coffee; Coffee County (Ga.); Douglas (Ga.); Historical markers --- Georgia --- Douglas.