Colquitt County Courthouse
Colquitt County Marker, Moultrie, GA.
This marker is located at the courthouse in Moultrie, Georgia. It was erected in 1954 noting the creation of Colquitt County, which was named for Walter T. Colquitt, a famous lawyer and preacher.
The marker reads as :
" This County, created by Act of the Legislature February 25, 1856, is named for Hon. Walter T. Colquitt who had recently died. A famous lawyer and Methodist preacher, he served in Congress in 1839-40 and 1842-43, and in the Senate from 1843 to ´48. ´As an advocate Judge Colquitt stood alone in Georgia.´ Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff Jacob F. Reichert, Clerk of Superior Court William McLeod, Ordinary Hardy Chastain, Tax Receiver John A. Alderman, Tax Collector Job Turner, Coroner Elijah Tillman and Surveyor Amos Turner."
GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Colquitt County Marker; Colquitt County Courthouse; Walter T. Colquitt; Colquitt County (Ga.); Maultrie (Ga.); Historical markers --- Goergia --- Maultrie.