Elks Rest Marker, St Augustine, Fl.
This marker located at the Fountain of Youth Lodge No. 649, also called the Elks rest , is in St Augustine, Florida. It was placed by the Civil Rights Memorial Projects Committee of St Augustine.
The text on the marker reads as :
FOUNTAIN OF YOUTH LODGE No. 649. Benevolent Protective Order Of Elks Of The World and Pride OF FOUNTAIN OF YOUTH TEMPLE No. 413. Completed in November 1958. This Lodge, called ELKS REST, was at the early center of political and civil life of Lincolnville, providing housing for political rallies and cultural events. During the 1960s, IT SERVED AS DAYTIME STRATEGY, TRAINING AND OPERATIONS CENTER OF THE SOUTHERN CHRISTIAN LEADERSHIP CONFERENCE, AND CANTEEN AND NUTRITIONAL CENTER - a bivouac for hundreds of participants and foot soldiers of the civil right movement.
Presented by the Civil Rights Memorial Projects Committee of St. Augustine, Executive Committee: Gerald Eubanks, Chairman: Bernice Harper, Vice-Chairman: Joe Eubanks and Jimmie Wells, and supported by Henry "Hank" Thomas, Freedom Rider, 1961 Erected January 2006.
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Elks Rest Marker; Fountain of Youth Lodge; Elks Rest; Historical marker; St Johns County (Fl.); St Augustine (Fl.); Historical markers --- Florida --- St Augustine.