Fender Cemetery Marker, Lanier Co, GA.
This is located at the Junction of US 221 and Ga 37 east of Lakeland. It was placed by the Georgia Historical Commission 1958.
The marker reads as :
" A short distance east on this road is Fender Cemetery, in which are buried many of the first settlers of the area of old Lowndes County lying East of the Alabama River, from Union church. This location for the Cemetery was chosen because of the inconvenience of ferrying the bodies of the dead across the river for burial. As the grounds were on lands of David Fender, the cemetery was given his family name. The earliest marked grave is that of Josiah Sirmans, one of the organizers of Union Church, who died Jan. 6 1830. Fender Cemetery was first in Lowndes, then Clinch, and is now in Lanier County. "
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Fender Cemetery Marker; Fender Cemetery; David Fender; Lanier County (Ga.); Lakeland (Ga.); Historical markers --- Georgia --- Lakeland.