Clinch County Courthouse
First Court in Clinch County Marker, Clinch, GA.
This marker is located at the Clinch County Courthouse, Homerville, GA.
The text on the marker reads as :
" Clinch County was created by an Act of the Legislature approved Feb. 14, 1850 out of lands formerly in Lowndes and Ware Counties and was named for General Duncan L. Clinch, a hero of the War of 1812 and the Indian wars. At the first election held in April, 1850, J.C. Kirkland was elected clerk of the Superior and Inferior Courts; Charles Cowart, sheriff; Benjamin Cornelius, tax receiver; Ezekiel J. Sirmans, tax collector, David J. Blackburn, survey-or; Joseph L. Rogers, coroner; David Johnson, Hiram Sears and Manning Smith, justices of the Inferior Court."
Sponsored by the Georgia Historical Commission 1953.
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; First Court in Clinch County Marker; Clinch County Courthouse; Historical marker; Clinch County (Ga.); Historical marker --- Georgia --- Clinch County -- Homerville .