Site of first Gadsden County Courthouse Marker, Quincy, Fl.
This marker is located at U S 90 at Camilla St on the grounds of Talquin Electric Cooperative, Inc. , in Quincy, Florida, who did the complete restoration.
The text on the marker reads as :
" This antebellum home is related in style to the early Louisiana plantation houses of the lower Mississippi Valley. Designed to cope with the heat and dampness of the climate, its main living quarters were on the second floor. It rests on land once owned by Robert Forbes, first Gadsden County sheriff, whose house served as a county courthouse in the early 1820's. Later in the nineteenth century, the property passed into the hands of Hector and William Bruce, grandnephews of Forbes. In 1956, it was purchased by the Quincy Garden Club, and in 1972 was acquired by Talquin Electric Cooperative, Inc. who undertook complete restoration."
Sponsors: Talquin Electric Cooperative, Inc. in Cooperation with Department of State. Erected 1972.
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Site of first Gadsden County Courthouse Marker; Gadsden County Courthouse; Robert Forbes; Quincy Garden Club; Talquin Electric Cooperative, Inc.; Gadsden County (Fl); Quincy (Fl); Historical marker --- Florida --- Quincy.