First Presbyterian Church-Bainbridge, Georgia.
This marker stands where this First Presbyterian Church once stood, in Bainbridge, Georgia. It tells the story of the historic church.
The text on the marker reads as :
" The First Presbyterian Church once stood here. It was a handsome building with a lofty ceiling vestibule and three sided gallery. The lot was one-half acre in size, cost $110 and was bounded by Troup, West and Crawford Streets. The congregation was large and also wealthy. During 1861-1865 daily prayers were offered and the pastor, Col. James F. Dunlop, organized a company that fought valiantly in the Confederate Army. The Church was burned to the ground on Sunday morning Sept. 20, 1874 with the bell tolling the funeral knell."
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; First Presbyterian Church Marker; First Presbyterian Church; Historical marker; Presbyterian Church; Decatur County ( Ga.); Bainbridge ( Ga.); Historical markers --- Georgia --- Bainbridge.