Gonzalez-Alvarez House Sign, St Augustine, Fl.
This marker is outside the Gonzalez -Alvarez House, which is one of the oldest house in St Augustine and the state of Florida. This was built between 1702-1727. National Register of Historic Places #70000845
The text on the marker reads as :
Gonzalez-Alvarez House (The Oldest House)
" For more than three centuries this site has been occupied by St. Augustinians. Beginning about 1650, a succession of thatched wooden structures were their homes. This coquina stone house was built soon after the English burned St. Augustine in 1702, and originally was a one-story rectangle with two rooms. As times changed during the Spanish, British and American occupations, a wooden second story, an off-street porch, and other features were added. Preserved by St. Augustine Historical Society since 1918, the house became a registered national landmark in 1970."
Sponsored by the St. Johns County Historical Commission in cooperation with the Department of State.
Historical marker raised by: [Florida Department Of State] [Saint Johns County Historical Commission]
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Gonzalez -Alvarez House Sign; Gonzalez -Alvarez House; Oldest house; Coquina stone; National landmark; St Johns County (Fl.); St Augustine (Fl.); Historical marker --- Florida --- St Augustine.