The Great Endurance Run Marker, Jacksonville , Fl.
This marker is located on 1st St. north of 4th Ave, in Jacksonville , where the "White House Hotel" once stood. The autoists participating in the run where treated to a gala banquet and over night stay at the hotel.
The text reads as :
" On November 23, 1909, the "Autoists" participating in "The Great Endurance Run" were treated to a gala banquet and overnight stay at "The White House Hotel" which was located at this exact site. This event ended the first day of driving for the "Drivers and Observers" of the eighteen automobiles that took part in the grueling, four day "Endurance Run" from Tampa to Jacksonville to Tampa to promote good roads for Florida. The event did, indeed, foster bond issues and highway construction throughout Florida. The original "Run" was sponsored by The Tampa Daily Times under the auspices of the Tampa Automobile Club with Coca-Cola being advertising sponsors. "
Sponsored by the Sun Bank of Gainesville in cooperation with the "Autoists" participating in the seventy-fifth anniversary re-enactment of "The Great Endurance Run".
Taylor; George Lansing; Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; The Great Endurance Run Marker; The Great Endurance Run; White House Hotel; Duval County (Fl); Jacksonville (Fl); Historical marker --- Florida --- Jacksonville.