Lowndes County Marker, Valdosta, GA.
This marker is located in the Lowndes County Courthouse, Valdosta . The text on the marker reads as ;
" LOWNDES COUNTY
Lowndes County was created by an act of the Georgia legislature December 23, 1825, from lands previously in Irwin County. It was named for William J. Lowndes, a South Carolina statesman.
The first count officers commissioned May 29, 1836, were Henry Blair, Clerk of the Superior Court; William Smith, Ordinary; Normal Campbell, Tax Collector; William Hancock, Sheriff; Malachi Mon, coroner and Samuel M. Clyatt, Surveyor.
The first state senator was William A. Knight and the first representative was Jonathan Knight for Lowndes County.
Lowndes County has had three county seats: Frankllinville, Lowndesville (later changed to Troupville) and Valdosta.
GEORGIA HISTORICAL MARKER 1978
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Lowndes County Marker; Lowndes County; William J. Lowndes; William A. Knight; Jonathan Knight; Valdosta (Ga.); Historical marker --- Georgia --- Valdosta.