Leon County Marker, Tallahassee, Fl.
This marker is located in front of the County Courthouse in Tallahassee, Fl.
The marker reads as :
" Originally part of Escambia and later Gadsden Counties, Leon was created by the territorial legislature in 1824. Named for Juan Ponce de Leon, discoverer of Florida, it became antebellum Florida's most prosperous and populous county, Cotton thrived in its fertile soil. Tallahassee, the county seat, has been the state capital since 1824. It is the home of Florida State University (1857) and Florida A&M University (1887)."
Sponsors: In Cooperation with Leon County Commissioners
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Leon County Marker,Leon County; Juan de Leon; Tallahassee -- County seat --State capital; Historical markers ---- Florida --- Tallahassee.