Smokestack North Carolina School for the Deaf
Smokestack North Carolina School for the Deaf, Morganton, NC
The North Carolina School for the Deaf is a state-supported residential school for deaf children established in 1894, in Morganton, North Carolina, USA.
A ca. 1960 Power Plant and smokestack stand adjacent to Bouchelle Street and on the farthest western edge of the property. This two-story power plant is constructed of red brick and is simple in design. There is an 8'x8' and 45' smokestack located on the northern elevation of this building. The stack, also constructed of red brick. is decorated with corbelling as is the power plant building. This building measures 38' x 53'. There are two doors, two twenty-eight divided windows, two eight divided windows, and a roll door. This building sits closest to Bouchelle Street and directly between Gaston Chapel and Avery Ave. School, both National Register properties.
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Smokestack North Carolina School for the Deaf; North Carolina School for the Deaf; Smokestack; Red brick; Burke County (NC); Schools --- North Carolina --- Morganton --- Burke County.