Landon Jr Sr High School
Landon Jr Sr. High 5 Jacksonville FL
Landon High School, District School No. 31: Located at 1819 Thacker Avenue.. It was named for Miss Julia Landon who was a teacher at Southside’s first one room Grammar School ca. 1910. She donated the land where the school is located, which was homesteaded by her parents after the Civil War.
The school opened in 1927 and the first principal was Mr. R. C. Marshall; they had an enrollment of 554 students in the first year. The original senior class 27/28 had 17 students, at least two of which were J. R. Cordell and Mary L. Johnson, and maybe more were from Arlington. Around 1964, the school board converted Landon High School to a junior high school/ middle school.
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Landon Jr Sr High School; Julia Landon; Middle School; Marsh & Saxelbye -architects; Duval County (Fl.); Schools --- Florida --- Jacksonville.