Wilkinson Co Marker Irwinton GA
This marker is in front of the Courthouse in Irwinton, GA
It reads as :
" This County was created by Acts of the Legislature May 11, 1803 and Dec. 7, 1805. It is named for James Wilkinson, Revolutionary General, and formed from part of the lands acquired from the Creeks by the Treaty of Fort Wilkinson (on the Oconee) at which the General was a U.S. Commissioner. Irwinton, named for Gov. Jared Irwin, is located on the site of an English trading post that existed prior to 1715. Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff Edmund Hogan; Clerk of Superior Court Archibald McIntire; Clerk of Inferior Court William Brown; Ordinary Drury Gilbert; Tax Receiver Arthur Burney; Tax Collector William O`Neal; Coroner Charles Ray and Surveyor Britton McCullers."
GHM 158-7 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Wilkinson County Marker; Wilkinson County (Ga.); James Wilkinson; Gov. Jared Irwin; Historical marker --- Georgia --- Irwinton.; Images