Wheeler Co Marker Alamo GA.
This marker is On Pearl Street at the Courthouse in Alamo, G A.
The text on the marker reads as :
" This County, created by Act of the Legislature Aug. 14, 1912, is named for Gen. Joseph Wheeler, famous Confederate Cavalry leader and Major General of Cavalry in the Spanish War. He twice saved Augusta from Kilpatrick`s Union Cavalry, at Waynesboro, Ga., in 1864 and at Aiken, S.C. in `65. For his brilliant work at Santiago Teddy Roosevelt called him `a regular gamecock.` First County Officers were: Ordinary Wm. B. Kent, Superior Court Clerk John Durden Brown, Sheriff J.F. Wright, Tax Receiver W.T. Hadden, Tax Collector J.A. Martin, Treasurer Daniel Pope, Surveyor E. Miller and Coroner James J. Brantley. "
GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Wheeler County Marker; Wheeler County (Ga.); Gen. Joseph Wheeler; Historical marker --- Georgia --- Alamo --- Wheeler County.