Tolomato Cemetery Marker, St Augustine FL
Tolomato Cemetery is located in St Augustine, Florida, the oldest European-founded city in the United States, and was in use as a cemetery from the 18th century until 1884. This beautiful space is the last resting place of some 1,000 St. Augustinians, including many people important to the history of Florida and the United States. It is a Catholic cemetery located on Cordova Street in St. Augustine, Florida
The text reads as :
" During the first Spanish period, prior to 1763, this site was occupied by the Christian Indian village of Tolomato, with its chapel and burying ground served by Franciscan Missionaries. The village was abandoned when Great Britain acquired Florida. In 1777 Father Pedro Camps, pastor of the Minorcan colonists who had come to St. Augustine after the failure of Andrew Turnbulls settlement at New Smyrna, obtained permission from Governor Patrick Tonyn to establish this cemetery for his parishioners. Father Camps was buried here in 1790, ten years later his remains were re-interred in the “new church”, the present Cathedral. The first Bishop of St. Augustine, Augustin Verot (d. 1876), is buried in the mortuary chapel at the rear of the cemetery. The last burial took place in 1892."
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Tolomato Cemetery Marker; Tolomato Cemetery; Catholic Cemetery; St Johns County (Fl.); Historical marker --- Florida --- St Augustine.