Tift County Marker Tifton GA
This marker is located outside the courthouse in Tifton, GA.
The text on the marker reads as :
" This County, created by Act of the Legislature August 17, 1905, is officially named for Nelson Tift, well known businessman, legislator and Mayor of Albany. The organizers also had in mind his nephew Henry Hardin Tift, who founded Tifton in 1872 when he built a saw mill and commissary here though the first post office was not established until 1887. Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff J.B. Baker, Ordinary W.S. Walker, Clerk J.E. Peoples, Tax Receiver J.A. Marchant, Tax Collector J. Henry Hutchinson, Treasurer S. F. Overstreet, Coroner J.E. Johns, and Surveyor J.T. Webb."
Georgia Historical Commission 1954
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Tift County Marker; Nelson Tift; Henry Hardin Tift; Tift County (Ga.); Historical marker --- Georgia --- Tifton.