Telfair Co Marker, McRae GA.
This marker is located outside the courthouse in McRae, Georgia.
The text on the marker reads as :
" Telfair County was created by Act of Dec. 10, 1807 from Wilkinson County. Originally, it contained parts of Coffee and dodge Counties. It was named for Gov. Edward Telfair (1735- 1807). Born in Scotland, he settled in Savannah in 1766, was a staunch supporter of the American cause in the Revolution, was a member of the Council of Safety, a delegate to the Continental Congress, Governor 1786-1787 and 1790-1793. First officers of Telfair County, commissioned Dec. 20, 1808, were: Duncan Curry, Clerk of Superior and Inferior Courts; Cullen Edwards, Sheriff; Benjamin M. Griffin, Coroner. "
GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956
Taylor; George Lansing; Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Telfair County Marker; Telfair County; Gov. Edward Telfair; Historical marker --- Georgia --- McRae.