The Woman's Club of Starke
Woman's Club of Starke (Reverse), Starke, Fl.
The Woman's Club of Starke is a historic woman's club in Starke, Florida, located at 201 North Walnut Street. On April 18, 1997, it was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places.
The marker reads as : (Side 2) continued from side 1.....
" -- -- original structure was used in the new construction. The new craftsman/bungalow building opened on November 3, 1922. Projects undertaken in the 1920s by the Woman’s Club included a drive to remove cows from the streets, development of a city park and municipal suffrage. The Bradford County Library used portions of the building and in 1936 was the first county library in Florida allowed to borrow books from the State Library in Tallahassee. Throughout World War II, the United Service Organization (USO) used the building as a clubhouse where the Army YMCA entertained soldiers who were stationed at nearby Camp Blanding. Opening in April 1941 they provided minstrels, radio programs, quiz games, card games, dances and vaudeville shows for the soldiers. Throughout its history, the Clubhouse has continued to serve as the community’s primary facility for social and cultural events. On April 18,1997, the Clubhouse was listed on the National Register of Historic Places and continues to serve as the Woman’s Club of Starke headquarters."
Sponsored by the Little Woman's Club of Starke and the Florida Department of State.
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Womans Club of Starke Marker; Womans Club of Starke; Mothers Club; Bradford County High School; Bradford County Library; Army YMCA; Historical marker --- Florida --- Starke --- Bradford County.