St Johns Seminary of Learning
St Johns Seminary of Learning Marker, Madison FL
The text reads as :
" Madison Lodge Number 11, F.& A.M. founded the St. Johns Seminary of Learning on the southwest corner of this block in 1850. This institution became the basis for Madison High School in 1886. W.B. Cates established the Florida Normal Institute here as part of Madison High School in 1907. The building adjacent to this marker was the dormitory of the Florida Normal Institute. The Institute trained many teachers for all of Florida before closing in 1927."
This is the site of the Early Madison County Educational Institution. Sponsored or placed by: Sponsored by Madison Lodge Number 11, Free and Accepted Masons In Cooperation With Department of State, Bureau of Historic Preservation
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; St Johns Seminary of Learning Marker; St Johns Seminary of Learning; Florida Normal Institute; Madison County (Fl.); Historical marker --- Florida --- Madison.