Sanford State Farmer's Market
Sanford State Farmers' Market Marker ( Obverse), Sanford, Fl.
This marker is located on South French Ave (U.S. 17/92) south of West 13th St, Sanford, Seminole County, FL.
The text reads as :
" On December 19, 1934, the first state owned Farmers' Market in the nation was dedicated on this site at the corner of 13th and French Avenue, Sanford, Florida. Located on 20 acres acquired by the City of Sanford and Seminole County from Alec V. and Katherine K. French, the market became a center of market activity for farmers throughout Central Florida. By 1941, this first successful model led the way to over 27 similar markets serving the agricultural industry in Florida. The first buildings, constructed of wood, were built with loans from the Federal Emergency Relief Agency. The stalls, 108 in all, were approximately 11' x 22' and rented for 50 cents a day, $3.00 per week or $10.00 per month. An Atlantic Coastline Railroad spur provided rail service to a portion of the market ."
Erected by the Seminole County Historical Commission
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Sanford State Farmers' Market Marker; Sanford State Farmers' Market; Katherine K. French; Central Florida; Atlantic Coastline Railroad; Seminole County (Fl.); Historical marker --- Florida --- Sanford.