Public Market Place
Public Market Place Marker, St Augustine, Fl.
This marker is located in St Augustine outside the First Public Market established in the plaza in 1598.
The text on the marker reads as :
" The first public market was established in this Plaza by Governor Mendez de Canzo in 1598. Here, for the first time, a standard system of weights and measures was introduced in this country for the protection of the consumer. On this site a market for the sale of meats and produce was erected in 1824, and in use until 1878. This structure was rebuilt by the City in 1888 following a disastrous fire in this area April 11, 1887."
St. Johns County Historical Commission -- 1970
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Public Market Place Marker; Public Market Place; Governor Mendez de Canzo; Standard weights; Meat & produce; St Johns County (Fl.); Historic marker --- Florida --- St Augustine.