Public Burying Ground Marker, St Augustine, Fl.
This marker is located in St Johns County in St Augustine in the vicinity of the City Gate.
The text on the marker reads as :
" During the yellow fever epidemic of 1821, this half-acre plot was set aside as a public cemetery. Many Protestant pioneers to the new Florida Territory are buried here. Often such burials, make at public expense, went unmarked. The Presbyterian Church has owned and maintained the cemetery since 1832. Interments were discontinued in 1884."
Sponsors: St. Johns County Historical Commission
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Public Burying Ground Marker; Public Burying Ground; Public Cemetery; Yellow fever epidemic; Presbyterian Church; St Johns County (Fl.); Historical marker --- Florida -- St Augustine.