Nacoochee Indian Mound Marker, White County, GA.
Gauxule, Cherokee Indian town, Town House sat upon the mound, and the residents resided in the surrounding field. Visited by DeSoto in 1540, looking for gold. It was sponsored by the Georgia Historical Commission.
The Nacoochee Mound is located in White County, Georgia two mile south of Helen on property belonging to the L.C. Hardman Estate. Dr. Hardman was a former Governor of the State of Georgia. During the summer of 1980 Nacoochee Valley, in which the mound is located, was placed on the National Regiater of Historical Places as a historical district.
The text on the marker reads as :
" Nacoochee Indian Mound was the Center of the Ancient Cherokee town of Gauxule, visited by DeSoto in 1540 in his search for gold, according to legend. On this ceremonial mound, 190 feet long, 150 feet wide and 20 feet high, stood the Town House, where a sacred fire burned unceasingly. Ceremonial dances were performed in and around the Town House. Residents of the town lived on the flat land surrounding the mound. The findings of Heye Foundation archaeologists who explored the mound in 1915 indicate the advanced cultural development of the builders."
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; Nacoochee Indian Mound Marker; Nacoochee Indian Mound; Gauxule; White County (Ga.); Historical marker --- Georgia --- White County.