Matheson Museum, Inc. of the Alachua County Historic Trust
Southeast Gainesville Residential District
American Legion Gainesville, FL. The American Legion Building, presently the Alachua County Historic Trust: Matheson Museum, Inc., was built in 1932. Erected on the land donated by the City of Gainesville in 1926, it replaced the old Tabernacle Hall, which burned in 1927. Throughout its first twenty years of existence, the building not only served as the social and business center for its 400 Legion members, but it also functioned as the town's main community hall. In its first year of operation, 1933, many Gainesville civic clubs, the Chamber of Commerce, the Boy Scouts and other organizations held regular meetings here; Contributing Building - Southeast Gainesville Residential District - National Register of Historic Places NRIS #87002435 Currently the Matheson Museum of the Alachua County Historic Trust.
Taylor, George Lansing, Jr.; Lance Taylor; Photographers -- Florida --Jacksonville; Photograph collections -- Florida -- Jacksonville; clubs - associations; Matheson Museum; Historic buildings; Gainesville Fl.; Alachua County; Historic Trust